The Board of Trustees of the Newfane Public Library, in support of the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights, and under Section 262 of the New York State Education Law, establishes the following rules in order to facilitate the broadest and most equitable use of this facility:
1. Respect for the rights and needs of all library users shall be maintained at all times.
2. All patrons shall comply with the reasonable requests of the library staff.
3. Conduct considered improper in the library includes but is not limited to:
a. Public disturbance (including excessive odor and lewd behavior)
b. Use of audible devices
c. Offensive or abusive language
f. Drinks without lids or alcoholic beverages
g. Sleeping or loitering
i. Improper use of restrooms, including loitering and bathing
j. Using, possessing, or being under the influence of alcohol, narcotics, or hallucinogenic drugs
k. Possession of a firearm or other weapon
4. Photographs or videos of individuals in any portion of the building may be taken only with their expressed consent. If the patron is under 18 years of age, consent of the parent or guardian is required
5. Cell phone use is permitted. Phones are to be set to vibrate. Calls are allowed as long as they are not distracting to other patrons and to library business. Library staff will help the next patron needing assistance if a patron is actively using a cell phone. Cell phone use may be prohibited in certain areas of the library or at the discretion of library personnel.
6. No animals, except those specifically required for guidance purposes, are permitted within the library building.
7. For reasons of safety and hygiene, no one may use the building unless wearing shirts and shoes or equivalent foot covering.
8. Library furnishings and materials are not to be rearranged or disarranged by patrons.
9. Solicitation of funds, distribution of literature, or promotional material, or sale of goods is forbidden by any person or agency other than the library.
10. Computers and other library equipment shall be used in accordance with their intended purposes as defined by the library.
11. All library materials must be properly charged before they are removed from the building with the exception of puzzles.
At the discretion of library personnel, any person who violates the above rules or fails to use the library’s materials or equipment according to regulations established by the Board of Trustees and the Director may be required to leave the library and may be subject to suspension or other restrictions from the use of the building, equipment, and materials of the Newfane Public Library pending the outcome of a conference with the Board of Trustees.
Newfane Public Library Board of Trustees
Reviewed and revised September 26, 2016