Getting A Card
Library cards are issued to residents of Niagara, Orleans and Genesee counties. You may also receive a library card if you work or own property in the town of Newfane. Seasonal renters need to provide a copy of their renter’s agreement.
Proof of residence is required in the form of a picture ID, plus name and current address. If the current address is not on the picture ID, a piece of mail or a utility bill with name and current address along with picture ID is acceptable. If you are NOT a resident, but work within the Newfane School District, you must provide proof of this, such as a pay stub.
Anyone under the age of 16 MUST have completed a Library Card Application (this can also be done at the library), and MUST be signed by a parent if under the age of 13.
Your first library card is free of charge. Replacement cards are $1.00. There is no charge for updating information in the database or for renewing expired cards.
Other Residents of New York State
Other residents of New York State who do not live, work, own property, or attend school in the three-county NIOGA service area are eligible for borrowing privileges by applying for an individual library card for a fee of $40.00; these cards have a 15-item limit and are valid for one year. A valid picture ID and current address is required.
Borrowing Materials, Loan Periods, and Late Fees
We can borrow for you what we do not have. Please ask if you don’t find what you want. We are here to help you!
You are responsible for all items borrowed on your library card.
Books and materials are limited to 40 items per borrower, unless otherwise stated. No more than 4 movies owned by Newfane Free Library can be checked out at a time per library card.
Your card can be used at any public library in the NIOGA Library System, serving Niagara, Orleans, and Genesee counties. Items checked out from a library in the NIOGA system may be returned to any library in the NIOGA system. For a list of libraries, click here.
Library materials may be dropped in the book return at the library entrance on Maple Avenue.
Loan periods for books/audiobooks/magazines are 3 weeks.
The loan period for movies and music CDs are 2 weeks.
Renewals may be made by phone, in person, or online.
You can receive hold and overdue notifications via email. Ask at the front desk.
Late fees on all materials are $0.10 per day to a maximum of $5.00 per item.
Borrowers will not be allowed to check out items if there is a lost item on their record or if unpaid fines total more than $5.00.
Accessing Your Account Online
Go to the catalog, click on My Account, and log in with your library card number and PIN* to do any of the following:
- Review your library account
- View a list of your items on hold
- View a list of your items checked out and their due dates
- Renew your items that are checked out**
- View your fines
- Change your PIN
- Set your preferred pickup location
*To place a hold on something, you will need a Personal Identification Number or PIN. This security feature was added when we upgraded in 2009. Everyone was given the same PIN – CHANGEME – and you are required to change it to something you will remember!
**Having a problem renewing your items? Give us a call at (716) 778-9344 during library hours.
Place a Hold
You’ll need your library card number and PIN for this. You also have to choose which library to have the item(s) sent to.
- Go to the catalog and log in with your library card number and PIN.
- Find the item in the catalog. For more information on an item, be sure to click on the title.
- Look for the blue Place Hold button and click on it. This can be found either from the list of items that came up after doing a search (look to the right side), or from clicking on the title of the item you want, again the button will show up on the right.
- When the item is available for pick up, we will contact you by phone or email, and you will have 1 week to pick it up.
- Placed a hold but clicked on the wrong library? Go to “My Account” (link is at the top of the screen), and assuming you are already logged in, click on the tab “Holds”. This will give you a list of the holds you’ve placed, their status, and the pickup location. Click on the empty box to the left of the item(s) you want to change. Click on the blue button titled “Edit Pickup Location(s)”, and change the location.
- Trying to place a hold on a movie or a new book, but the hold doesn’t work? Many libraries do not allow holds on their movies (some only on VHS but not DVD). You can go to the library and check it out personally, but cannot place a hold. The same goes for “new” books. If you click on the title to bring up that item’s information, if it is listed as “New Items” under “Material”, you cannot place a hold on it. You can, however, go to that library and personally check it out.
Questions Regarding My Library Account
Give us a call! (716) 778-9344
Please note that we cannot give out your library card number over the phone.
Lost Library Card?
Report it at the front desk of the library. With ID, you can obtain a replacement card for $1.00.